Skip to content
The Day Before Surgery
- Drink eight to 10 glasses of water throughout the day.
- Please refrain from or reduce cigarette smoking 12 hours before surgery. Smoking can increase post-surgery nausea. Not smoking also improves the blood’s oxygen supply.
- Plan to arrive an hour and a half before your scheduled appointment.
The Evening Before Surgery
- Do not eat any food or drink any fluids (including hard candy, mints, cough drops, gum and water) after midnight to help prevent complications during and after surgery.
- Eat a light dinner unless otherwise instructed by your provider. Avoid spicy and greasy foods.
- Take a shower or bath.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages which can cause post-surgery vomiting.
The Day of Surgery
- Take a shower or bath if you did not take one the evening before.
- Brush your teeth but do not swallow water. Good hygiene helps prevent post-surgery wound infections.
- Take only medicines prescribed by your provider with a small sip of water.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing to the hospital. Bring pajamas and a robe to wear home.
- Do not apply makeup.
- Remove polish from fingernails and toenails.
- Remove contact lenses, hairpieces, all piercings and rings.
- Leave any valuables such as money, jewelry, and watches at home.
- Bring a pillow and blanket for the ride home.
- Arrive an hour and a half before surgery and report to the Lloyd Olson Surgery Center at 235 State Street, St. Croix Falls, WI.
- If you’ll be admitted to the hospital after surgery, leave your suitcase in the car. Someone can bring it to you once you are assigned a room.